Translate

Monday, February 20, 2012

Scratching on the Break

I thought briefly of posting a long blog entry about how many different types of vehicles I've single-handedly crashed, without injuring anybody but myself, or recounting the tale of my Big Wheel, circa 1983 or something, but after getting into an accident over the weekend, I had this thought in my head, about a guy who got stuck in an elevator not once, but twice in the same day.  It happened in Chicago, and was making the rounds on Twitter earlier in the day.  I am including some photos I've taken the past couple of months, as the Flickr Gadget has unexpectedly ceased to function....most of these were taken in and around Minneapolis / Saint Paul, while riding one bicycle or another.

Photo credit Michael McKinney

Photo credit Michael McKinney
Photo Credit Michael McKinney
Photo Credit Michael McKinney
Photo Credit Michael McKinney
Saturday afternoon ride to Trader Joe's in Saint Louis Park, followed by returning a movie at Merriam Park library and following my standard route to Summit along Fairview avenue. At Fairview and Dayton I was struck by a motorist. I'm pretty sure it could have been a lot worse, but I'm a bit disappointed with myself for not avoiding the driver. The driver presented a rolling stop while travellng West on Dayton, then gunned across Fairview and "T-Boned" me. All fingers and toes accounted for, but I am starting to deal with the inevitable fall out. My frame is a little bent, my wheels are shot and my knee is not satisfied with the situation...some groceries were also harmed in the making of this map...post...route. Or workout. Whatever it is you hipster kids call this.
The driver's stereo was blasting, and he couldn't hear me yelling at him to stop. He apologized and did stay at the accident site...I am getting the impression from bike shop personnel that his willingness to comply is commendable. For economical reasons, I haven't owned a car since August of 2009. When I did own a car, and did drive, turning on the stereo was action number two following engine ignition.  It is a small world.




Find more Bike Ride in St Paul, MN

Seems a little redundant and unnecessary to credit myself on my own photos, doesn't it?  You'd think a blog, by its very nature would be narcissism enough, let alone allowing oneself to be delusional enough to think another person would actually try to take validation or credit from or for your work, which is beyond narcissistic.   Here's a one act play about it, including the ocean - The internet is a huge ocean, this is my buoy.  Get your own...right?  Whatever.  Enjoy.


No comments: