Translate

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sunday Night Dance Party

You might have seen one out in Minnesota
Or maybe down by the sea in Sarasota
But they were made back in Worcester Mass
Of aluminum and bakalite and glass
- Martin Sexton

Immediately after completing this run, I got a voicemail and a couple of text messages telling me I had an opportunity to see Martin Sexton at the Fitzgerald theater, in downtown St. Paul.  He opened his show with the song Diner, from the album Black Sheep.  I've seen him at the Cedar Cultural Center, the 400 bar and now this, making three concerts I've witnessed his scatalogical singing and blues hammering guitar playing.  Totally enjoyed myself and still enjoy his ability to nail incredible vocal ranges as well as percussive-like syllable phrasing amidst gutsy and folksy ballads. 






While running tonight, I listened to the following music;

Something, The Beatles
Lime House Blues, Birelli Lagrene
Vamos, The Pixies
Crane Wife 1 and 2, the Decemberists
Miles and Miles of Texas, Asleep at the Wheel
Voodoo Child (Slight Return), Jimi Hendrix
Pot Kettle Black, Wilco
Wall of Death, REM
Little T & A, The Rolling Stones
Be Be Your Love, Rachel Yamagata
Prodigal Son, The Rolling Stones
Hoodoo Voodoo, Billy Bragg
ELT, Wilco
The Late Greats, Wilco
Viva la Vida, Coldplay
Rain King, Counting Crows
Start me up, The Rolling Stones
That's not my Name, The Ting Tings
Bone Machine, The Pixies
The Woods of Old Limerick, Patrick Street
The Smoothie Song, Nickel Creek
Wave of Mutilation, The Pixies
Yellow Ledbetter, Pearl Jam

During the run I tried picking up my pace between lightposts, for about a mile and half.  I remember reading that book, Into The Wild, about Christopher McCandless - one of the things Jon Krakauer mentioned was his passion for cross country running, his ability to take a cross country training run that had become mundane, and turn it into an adventure, with sprints, new trails and occasionally deliberately getting lost, just to keep running long enough to find his way home again - as captain of the team, his workouts were legendary.  The lightpost sprints is an idea from another captain, from a long, long, time ago.  Thankfully, neither of us have starved to death in an abandoned VW bus.



No comments: