Translate

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Sourdough cinnamon wheat bread



After a spectacular, near epic fail on my last couple batches of bread, (somewhere between cardboard and rotting vegetation), two nice loaves of bread emerged from the oven.  I used an overnight levain, mixed the dry blended oats, wheat flour, sugar, honey, water, scant yeast and a bit of cinnamon into a batter-like dough, then added the remaining bread flour and kneaded in the salt last.

Here's the recipe, as much as I can recall:

Cinnamon oat wheat

Levain - pinch of yeast, 1 cup warm water, 1 cup bread flour.

Starter - levain, (fermented 24 hours), 3 cups warm water, 1/4 cup honey, 1/2 Tablespoon yeast, 2 cups blended dry oats, 1 Tablespoon organic sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 cup organic wheat flour.

Whisk.

Add 4 cups general purpose flour.

Knead 3 teaspoons salt into dough.

(first rise)

Cut, braid, loaf.

Bake @ 350 for 36 minutes.

I make no claim to the veracity of this recipe, the quality or the value, though I ran it past my team of volunteer taste enthusiasts and got a thumbs up.  Life is good.

No comments: