Translate

Sunday, October 2, 2011

30 Days of Biking Recap, Shorthand




































































So, this will be a list of tweets for the month of September, when I participated in a project called 30 Days of Biking. Someday, it would be nice to revisit this concept and add little minutiae and details....pieces of broken asphalt I rode over, curbs I narrowly avoided, street signs I ignored, cars I didn't like driving near me, people I thought were giving me the stink-eye, mechanicals I didn't have to trouble with because the local bike afficianados quietly slipped into my apartment in the middle of the night and tuned up my bike for me, beautiful women seen while riding, crazy people avoided while riding, music listened to while riding, food consumed post, pre and during said bike ride, gears used, ratios attained, wattages produced, miles covered, amount of carbon saved from the environment, number of higher cost bicycles I passed on my way to the library, number of times I witnessed somebody stopping to ask another cyclist for assistance, the irony of following somebody else's footsteps and expecting different results, (the definition of insanity), number of sodudku puzzles completed, the quality of being constantly observed for anything which resembles anger or displeasure with my station in life, an anger which might be assuaged by racing a bicycle on city streets, which is just like racing a car on city streets, which led to my 11 speeding tickets, the amount of time I could have spent fly fishing, the week long self-destructive benders I could have gone on, the amount of time I could have been discoursing Platonic ethics versus Kantian ethos, the number of miles I might have run instead of bicycling, the irony of being proud to ride a bicycle in order to forgo the association of other professional sports and their "home run derby" attitudes, the number of miles I might have walked if my bicycle wasn't running so well, the number of shops I visited, the mechanics I talked to, the variety of tattoos I noticed other cyclists displaying, the the awkward pleasure of reading Steve Tilford's blog and agreeing with him about anything, because he is, in fact, a human being with two legs and two arms and a head on his shoulders...he just rides like a horse, an on, and on, and on....but mostly I should talk about my brother, or my father, or my sister, or my mother or my parent's grandchildren- despite anything I may have accomplished or learned in the month of September, it seems pointless in comparison to how far a person travels without leaving home.
Uh...thanks Steve.

30 Days of Biking, Tweets.

You're dangerous maverick! That's right...ice...man. 30daysofbiking group ride, FTW. 9-30-11

Day 30, first ride on a niceride Minnesota bike. 3 gears; tortoise, tree sloth and manatee.

Day 29, now with Boo-yah!

...day 28 seems a lot more like July 28th than September 28th. With the remaining 59 characters of this tweet, I'd like to

Really calm, peaceful, quiet, relaxing loop around the Ford Parkway and Stone Arch bridges, probably 18 miles.

...around the ford parkway and Franklin bridges. Baker's dozen, rounding up.

Day 25, forty miles into the wind.

movingplanet, 30daysofbiking, Minnesota350. A ride mapped on 09/24/2011 in St Paul, MN | Bike Map | MapMyRIDE:

Beautiful day in St. Paul for movingplanet, riding bikes and 30daysofbiking.

Riding from the Stone Arch Bridge in MPLS to the state Capitol in St. Paul; 350.org, a climate change awareness initiative.

...moment of light, outside the Birchwood, in Minneapolis; September mileage is over 500.

Running errands, tootling around, being subversive.

To downtown St. Paul and back, with a few stops...

I still think this is what a "Studio" apartment is all about...or a trampoline.

5 miles...glad those hikers got freed. that would really suck donkey balls.

Breezy ride to Mississippi Market...for some coffee.

Wow. I thought it was colder, I dressed a little warm.

dropping Ramsey hill, in the rain, on vintage brakes isn't in my repertoire, so I noodled past the James J. Hill stairs.

Is there some big, regional cycling event today? Trails are spacious and friendly.

30 miles today, give or take. Windy enough to start wondering about rigging a sail, and how would that work?

2 bananas, 1 peach, 1 cup yogurt, 2 scoops Recoverite, 8 ice cubes, 1 cup OJ, blend and serve.

...most mis-quoted song. ever. My version, "sharie all night'ay, rock the casbah, rock the casbah"

Nice afternoon bike ride around Bald Eagle Lake, from Saint Paul....

Last night, a motorist gave me the bird, the finger, the international sign of F-you; today's goal, avoiding that motorist.

Nice ride to the Luce line and back on the Greenway. A bit windy. A bit surly ...

Rode to the St. Paul library. Locked my bike up. Walked to the YMCA. Locked my clothes up. Walked to Subway, ate.

I snapped a pick as the Birchwood group ride glided past me- a lycra clad TGV.

St. Paul Bike Classic.

Here's a photo from my bike ride to Wirth Park this morning.

Running the Surly Trail Loppet today. Riding my bicycle to the start.

Looped Harriet Island and Lake Harriet for 45 miles. Number large flying bugs that hit me in the face- about six or seven.

...week one, for 30daysofbiking, about 165 miles, no mechanicals, no accidents and one awesome dog named Eleanor.

Easy ride past Harriet Island, from Fort Snelling. 35 miles or so, round trip.

Phase one, in which Doris gets her oats.

Halfway through 33 miles, beautiful day to be riding.

Uff-da. Such a nice day to narrowly avoid a side impact.

To lake Nokomis and back, maybe a little bell happy on the trails.

Gusty night for a friendly tour on the lauderdale, greenway and cedar trails.

Rode to Trotters on Cleveland Avenue for breakfast, stayed for lunch.

My ride to the St. Paul Central Library. In a word, drippy.

Quick ride to Linden Hills on the new Schwinn frame. I couldn't ask for another. It's just that smooth.

Also considered for further exploration / analysis, amount of money saved by not smoking cigarettes for the past 11 years, amount of additional energy produced on windy days, average speed and velocity concurrent with wind speeds in a given direction per day, amount of calories produced and consumed, meals made, meals eaten per day, amount of liquids consumed / voided, impact of professional sports teams relevant to my daily performance, amount of money saved by not drinking in excess or dining out...




No comments: